Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 comes to a bitter end

Hello all as you can tell blogging is not my thing and I have not kept it up to date. This is not because of pure laziness it has been because life throws us curve balls every now and then. Unfortunately for me I have had quit a few over the past couple months and I was just getting by. In end of October/early November my eldest son, who is only two, had a grand mal seizure. This was extremely scary for me and I found it hard to even leave him for a second for several weeks following his illness. Thankful we have since learned that he is perfectly fine however when he is sick since he is a small child we need to ensure that he gets fluids and food into his system even if it is just juice. Not long after this incident my youngest had his first lung infection. This was also scary and he kept me up many nights with his breathing.

While this was going on I was also attending nursing school doing my psychology rotation. Unfortunately due to these stressful events my grades started to slip. It also didn’t help that I had an instructor who did not appear to like me very much and proceed to give me a hard time. It is no secret that I do not get psychology and have no idea what to do with a patient when they tell me they are suicidal. I hate it when I cannot fix something. Helping people get well is why I am becoming a nurse. It is easy to give people a band aid, help them learn how to do something like breast feeding, or give them medication but when it comes to their mental wellbeing I am at a loss. There is no easy fix and everything we do has long term implications into that person’s personality. Meaning if they say, “I can’t go on like this”, I cannot just reassure them that “Yes you can” I have to come up with an answer like “why can’t you go on?” or “what is making you feel like you can’t go on?”. For me these are hard questions to come up with on the spot when I am at the top of my game and near impossible when I am not. Sadly due to the circumstances I was unable to pass my nursing courses this past semester and will have to repeat them. On a better note, even though it is ironic, I was able to pass math with a good grad. This is ironic because as many people would say ‘I can’t do math to save my life’. However thankful they are letting me continue into nursing research next semester which will lighten my load come September.

I said in my title that 2011 came to a bitter end because as you will find out ironically as I go when I say my husband and I can’t seem to ‘catch a break’ it literally comes true. As we neared Christmas this year we learned yet again that our youngest had a lung infection which is also known as pneumonia little did we know that this would make are Christmas not just busy but crazy. Our 2 year old has finally discovered that at Christmas time he gets to open all the presents under the tree, he even helps the rest of us. However with the baby being sick and wanting to be held his older brother being sick and not get the attention that he wanted, which as many parents know this is unacceptable, the morning went on they both got more and more demanding. By the time I was getting them both ready for church not only was the baby screaming but so was his older brother and my husband. Normally when this happens I get mad but I have no idea how I did it but I took the two little ones in my arms kissed their tear stained cheeks and said “Mommy loves you”. Amazingly they both stopped crying long enough for me to get them in the car, the remedy for car screaming turn up the radio. Unfortunately as the day wore on it got worse. To climax it the next evening, as a late Christmas present, my husband insisted on slipping in the mud and breaking, not spraining like most people would, but breaking his ankle. As I told you earlier this is ironic because I said to him about a week earlier “we can’t seem to catch a break can we” and little did I know how literal he would take it. So currently I still have to sick children and a husband with a broken ankle. However next week I will have some good news to share. Like that saying goes “when it rains it pours” but all I need to do is remember “this is the day that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it” Psalm 118:24.

3 comments:

  1. We are encouraged not to "Fear" approximately 366 times in the Bible. Once for nearly every day of the year.
    So "Fear Not" nothing will come your way that you cannot handle although at the time it seems like you are goin' down and holding three fingers above water like you see in the old loonie toones cartoons.
    What is the other saying? ... "This too shall pass"
    Blessings Megan we are your balcony people, standing up here watching you make it through and cheering you on all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mom. I remember that saying especially when it feels like times are tough. I know it has not been easy for you either. But we both had two little blessings last year and I thank God everyday for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, sometimes its hard to see the light at the end of the Tunnel... But God is always there with you, even in the midst of darkness.
    Thank You for the reminder that God doesn't let us go though things that we can't handle... as long as we have God's Help. =)

    ReplyDelete